Hardly any of us has not had problems with insomnia at one point or another. For most insomnia is an occasional disruption in normal patterns. For others, it is a terrible burden that negatively affects all their waking hours. But whether insomnia is occasional or constant all would like to know how to treat insomnia.
Insomnia treatments range from common OTC medications to being treated by sleep professionals. Most would prefer insomnia remedies that rely on natural cures than medications. If this is you, here are a few ideas how to treat insomnia naturally.
Natural Treatment for Insomnia
- Restrict fluids before bedtime Maintaining proper hydration is very important to general health but drinking fluid before going to bed is not a good idea. Having a full bladder interrupt your sleep to use the bathroom can easily aggravate insomnia. Be cautious about drinking any fluids an hour before bedtime.
- Turn off the Worry Machine There are many hours during the day to deal with whatever worries you. Reserve as many as necessary to complete unpleasant tasks (paying the bills, etc.) well before going to bed. Work to accomplish all your daily tasks during the day and reserve the evening hours for pleasing activities such as hobbies. You will go to sleep easier.
- Do you have nagging aches and pains from arthritis or the Gym? If you do these small but nagging discomforts can easily disrupt you sleep. Relieve the pain with a hot bath or ibuprofen, or both prior to going to bed. In the case of tired aching muscles stretching exercises like yoga may also help.
- Be sure your bed is comfortable You are going to spend several hours a night in your bed so it must be comfortable and not cause any discomforts. If you are waking during the night with back pain chances are your mattress is too soft to provide support. Try turning your mattress over or rotating it 180 degrees for more support. If this doesn’t work you may have to purchase a new mattress.
- Reserve the bedroom for sleep or sex Don’t turn your bedroom into a satellite office. Keep computers and other screens in other parts of the house. Your bedroom must be the oasis you retreat into, not simply another activity room.
These ideas on how to treat insomnia will work better for some than others. After having tried these, and other, ideas you still can’t sleep it is time to get help. Insomnia is not something you can just “power through”. It can be a serious medical situation and must be treated as such.